Design collaboratively with your peers, review concepts with fellow designers, or present final designs to stakeholders. LandingPad Collab allows two or more people to collaborate in Gravity Sketch at the same time.
Read on to find out more details around how to access LandingPad Collab, the difference to Collab for Business, and what is in store for the future of the LandingPad/Gravity Sketch platform.
On January 25th 2021 we made the LandingPad/Gravity Sketch platform free to all users. The goal of this was to push the democratization of digital 3D creation and give back to the design community at large. What we as designers know, have observed, and heard loud and clear from our community is that the design process isn’t linear; ideation isn’t an isolated part of the process. The most critical parts of the design journey are the moments of communication: getting buy-in from fellow designers, approval from stakeholders, hand-offs with CAD technicians.
By making LandingPad Collab free to all users, we aim to further our mission of making digital 3D design more effective and accessible. This real-time collaboration feature will allow anyone in the community to easily communicate and share their work with each other.
What is LandingPad Collab?
For the past three years, we have built and deployed collaboration tools to our business customers. We studied the design process of vehicle and industrial designers as well as concept artists in the entertainment industry. We have been optimizing the collaboration engine over these years so that we can bring these features to a much wider audience. We are pleased to announce that the day has come.
LandingPad Collab allows users to create a personal collaboration space, or as we call it, a collaboration room in which the user can invite others for creation and collaboration in real-time. In order to create or join a room, each user will need a free LandingPad.me account.
With our initial rollout of LandingPad Collab, each user will have the following capabilities:
- Own and operate one personal collaboration room
- Invite as many other users as needed to the room.
- Host up to four users in a room at the same time.
We have decided to roll out with this feature set to start with, allowing us to cater to a wide variety of use cases whilst still respecting the technical constraints we face. We would like to gain feedback from the community to better understand how these features are used and what additional features are needed to make this a more integrated part of the workflow.
How can I get access?
We are rolling out access to these features in phases. This will ensure that our infrastructure remains stable and scalable as we expand adoption and scale to the point where all users can access LandingPad Collab from day one of joining the community.
We will roll out LandingPad Collab to the broader community before the end of the year; in the meantime, please register your interest:
- If you’re already on LandingPad, log in either in VR or on the web browser and register your interest by clicking on the ‘LandingPad Collab’ icon.
- If you’re not on LandingPad, please sign up and register your interest here.
What is the difference between LandingPad Collab (free) and Collab for Business?
The following features are included in the free version of LandingPad Collab:
- One personal collaboration room per user
- Maximum of 4 users in a collaboration room
- All invitees to the collaboration room have full edit permission
- 1GB cloud storage per user
Collab for Business has been used by companies for the past three years and comes with a variety of functionality to cater for larger team use cases as well as the data security, IP management, and support requirements of businesses:
- Collaboration functionality:
- Unlimited collaboration rooms
- Option to extend to 10 concurrent users in a collaboration room
- 5GB cloud storage per user
- Full content ownership: control who is able to save and download the contents of a room by adding invitees as reviewers or viewers
- Company- or Team-wide design systems, so everyone can have access to the same reference images, UI library, etc
- Security and IP:
- User management: create sub-teams and control who has access to which collaboration room, and with which level of permissions (e.g., edit or view only)
- Audit trail for changes to user information and collaboration rooms for internal IT security and insurance requirements
- SSO + advanced security measures
- Business licensing terms: warranties, coverage for liabilities, uptime guarantees
- Dedicated customer success manager with premium support levels including 1:1 training
What does this mean for our Business customers?
The free version of LandingPad Collab doesn’t change anything for customers of Collab for Business. Access to our full Business feature set will remain along with product warranties, coverage for liabilities, uptime guarantees, and support levels that have been agreed.
Businesses that are interested in learning about the feature set and technology can now try it out using the free version, to learn how the platform fits into their workflow.
For teams that are ready to jump into the business version of Collab: please don’t hesitate to get in touch at [email protected]
What is in store for the future of the LandingPad/Gravity Sketch Platform?
We want to fully roll out LandingPad Collab to all users in the community. Initially, the only way to collaborate with others will be via virtual reality. However, we understand that this technology is still growing in design teams, and including more voices in the conversation is critical. Therefore we will be focusing on enabling LandingPad Collab on the recently released iPad application and through a desktop LandingPad viewer application. We already have working prototypes of these connected with VR in a real-time collaboration room.
Exposing this functionality to a wider audience will result in a lot of feedback and give us a deeper understanding of how teams collaborate. With these learnings, we will double down on the development of further collaboration features and an improved user experience. Together (with the community) we are in uncharted waters, tackling the challenges around communicating 3D concepts in a virtual environment in real-time like a conference call. We rely on your continued feedback to develop and improve the functionality of the platform, making this a truly seamless collaborative experience.
A great deal of work will also be put into the onboarding experience for new users. Collab will be the first immersive experience for many invited users; many community members will invite peers, colleagues, and customers to join them in a collaboration room. For these first-timers it will be important to make the initial experience as easy and seamless as possible. This will be a key focus of ours in the coming months, and as always we welcome your suggestions.
How can I stay close to the development of Gravity Sketch?
For those of you who have been with us on this journey, it is no secret by now that we cannot do this without you. The feature set that you will have access to is what we have best identified as the most flexible and accessible without incurring unmanageable cost and technical debt; we are prepared for a ton of feedback as each of your workflows slightly vary and you will inevitably need some functionality we currently don’t offer. Your voice in the early stages of the rollout will directly lead to product improvements and feature developments so please do not hesitate to reach out and let us know your thoughts. These insights into your workflow will help us understand what we need to build to generate wider professional adoption, which will lead to a much more inclusive platform.
Ask more from us as we continue to develop, show your support through using the tool and letting us know pain points, and help the rest of the community get up to speed by sharing your work and experience on social platforms:
- Plug into the community on Discord, Instagram, and YouTube, where you can contribute to the discussion and share your inspirational work.
- Become an official beta tester and join our close-knit beta Slack group where we work together closely to prove out alpha features that are coming to the platform.
As always we are truly excited and grateful to be a part of this growing creative community and look forward to working with all of you during the rollout and future updates.